Becker 2008 Fall Excursions

Fall for us was full of travels and fun. Shortly after getting back from Anchorage in September, I went on a two week business trip to Kansas City (without the family). So, I decided to take advantage of the government paying for my plane ticket to Kansas City and took a two day break on the way down to see a friend and her family in Southern Oregon. On the way down I had a couple hour layover in SEATAC, so I relaxed and looked out the glass windows while surfing the net when I should have been doing college work. I got into Medford around 6 pm or so and ate an awesome dinner thanks to my friends parents. After the kids went to bed, we stayed up to the wee hours drinking and talking. I must say, I felt it the next morning (a few hours later when we got up) till around 2 pm. Our drinking time, set back the schedule to go to Crater Lake and then back to Medford for dinner and shopping. Seeing Carter Lake was amazing, it reminded me of New Zealand or Alaska without the glaciers. Finally getting back to Medford, we had time to go to dinner before I needed to catch a few zzs for my early flight. Monday started out with me trying to find ways to sleep at SEATAC (fifth time at the airport this year so far) due to my 7 hour layover before flying to Kansas City. Again I gazed out the windows while surfing the net. When I finally arrived in Kansas City, it was raining and around 40 to 50 degrees, so I felt like I was still in Juneau. But, the rest of the week turned out to be beautiful till Friday afternoon. Having a weekend in Kansas City seemed a waste (not knowing anyone there), so I flew over to Denver to see some friends. Of course, I get put in the tornado shelter at the airport for about an hour. So, not how I wanted to spend part of my Friday night. After finally arriving in Denver, I planned to stay at a friend's house in Elizabeth, CO just south of Denver and hang out with them on Saturday. We enjoy the sunny day by going the mall. But it was nice to go to some stores and pick up a few things for Xander. We ate a nice BBQ dinner at their house. The next day we had to get up early because my friend had to be on air (radio station) that morning. Since he had a busy day, I decided to hang out with a friend form High School that I had not seen in about eight years. It was a blast seeing him again and hanging out in Denver like we use to over eight years ago. Walking around downtown Denver, there were Obama signs everywhere since that is where the Democratic Convention was held. The day came to a close before I knew it and it was time to get on the plane back to Kansas City for another week. Being in Denver was so worth it since I got to fly away form the rainy weather and back to sunshine. Falling more behind in College work, I decided to go out to a baseball game one night with most of my class. My luck have it, I was in the vehicle that was rear ended and got injured. So, needless to say the rest of my week was crappy and turned into a big paperwork mess before flying home on Saturday morning. With a lot of muscle relaxers I was able to fly home and sleep most of the trip even with the milk run (multiple stops between Seattle to Juneau). While in the lower 48, I was able to get Xander some cool billed beanies that no one else has in Juneau. It is nice to have some different stuff from everyone here since we all have the exact same selection.

Getting home was great and mildly relaxing. But, in two weeks we were going on a family vacation to upstate NY (to see David's Dad and Shar) for about two weeks. We were lucky to enjoy and Indian Summer in upstate NY with 70 degree weather and sun the majority of the time. We went around and saw family and explored all of David's childhood stomping grounds. Xander enjoyed every minute of playing outside in the sun and grass and going to the playground. We even went over to Niagara Falls to see my dad for a day. Just another jam packed trip with lots of fun and beautiful fall colors.

It was time to get back home to the rain and 40 degree weather that would go on for the rest of the month of October. Luckily in early November we got some sun but no 70 degrees. Those are the days that really remind us why we live in Juneau. Skeleton Xander had a great time on Halloween at school. David and I went treat or treating with him and his classmates around the Federal Building. By the end, David and I both had someone other toddlers in our arms that had fallen asleep or were just cranky. The next week, we learned that our house had a moisture problem in the attic and we are still waiting on the builder to fix it. Not a fun process. As the time went by quickly, David departed for his week long business trip in Seattle. Giving David a nice break and me a chance to do the single parent deal. Xander and I had a blast hanging out for a week. Thanksgiving came and went without a hitch. Xander even ate a piece of turkey this year, but still mainly likes the rolls.

Fall was wet and sunny for us with Xander still changing a little each day and saying new words all the time. I stayed busy in my off time with family and going to college full time online (4 classes - 14 credit hours).

Now it is December and Christmas is a week away. I must say that I am still behind and every one's stuff will probably not be there in time for Christmas. Happy Holidays to all and I might actually try to keep up with this thing more than every few months next year. Again I am writing this in the early morning hours so ignore my fun grammar and spelling errors.

Comments